Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Worry well or Need to worry??

Hi Dr. Bob; Love the work you do here, and promise to donate $50(as every year). Hoping you could take just a second and answer a question for me. I went to a huge concert a couple of months ago. It was hot, and I was walking on my way in (skanky) downtown on the side of the street. I scuffed the top of my foot (not paying attention) downward on something lying on the street. With a tonne of people behind me, I didnt get a chance to see what it may have been. It did give me a quick sharp pain, and about twenty minutes later I noticed the area was bleeding and there was a small round wound on my foot, but it looked to be bigger than an actual needle hole. Cleaned it up, didnt think too much more about it. 6 1/2 weeks later, I came down with an extreme sore throat and was worn out for 4 days.(was flu season though) Fine on the 5th. And started to worry. I'm just wondering; a needle - even if it "scuffed" over my foot probably wouldnt cause a round wound a couple millimeters big would it?(about the size of the tip of a piercing needle, it was) - And is this a possibility? Or if it was something else stupid and sharp left lying around on the ground; was this a risk for me? I am passed the three month mark now, but HIV testing does give me some anxiety. Please just throw me your honest opinion; think I need to have a test? Or am I totally worrying for no reason? MY uncertainty keeps creeping up on me and I feel irresponsible. Thanks a bunch Dr. Bob, you rock! <3

Your HIV-acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. I see no reason for worry or HIV testing. However, if my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake your (unwarranted) fears, get a single rapid HIV test. Results are available within a few short minutes. I have absolutely no doubt you will test HIV negative. The test is not medically warranted. However, if it puts your fears permanently to rest, it may be worth the time and effort psychologically.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Be well.

HIV transmission through cuts
one more last question