Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Freaking out... please help Dr Bob. Will donate $50
Jan 24, 2011

Your advice on my situation would really mean the world to me as I am freaking out. 10 weeks ago I received unprotected fellatio from 2 female strippers at a strip club. I also performed about 30 seconds of unprotected cunnilingus on one of the girls ( I don't know what the hell I was thinking!) It was light licking, no deep penetration with tongue. Before I left strip club I washed my mouth with Listerine in bathroom. Would this help kill any possible HIV in my mouth? I woke up the next morning with a crack on my lip which I believe I got from walking home in the freezing cold that night. Could HIV still have been in my mouth and get infected into the cut? Fast forward, I presented with a cold (no fever, no swollen glands, no rash or other classic ars) 4 weeks after. Went away in a few days. After 6 weeks, I had a 1 day virus/bug or something that caused me severe stomach pain in the morning, then at night caused me severe chest pain on right side, which eventually led me to be hit with a sudden nausea and vomiting a few hours later. I threw up 7 times in 5 minutes, then felt much better afterward. Could this he ARS related? 8 Weeks post exposure, developed severe persistent headache for 2 weeks now. Went to neurologist, performed EEG, CAT, and hospital did Lumbar Puncture, results were all negative. Headache still persists but not as bad. Finally I believe I have developed oral thrush as well now. I have a constant numbness on my tongue, white stuff on the back on my tongue, and the other day when I drank a few glasses of wine, the white stuff seemed to spread all over my tongue.

So you think that these symptoms could be ARS HIV related? I am freaking out, I plan on getting a test at 12 weeks.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Oral sex (fellatio and cunnilingus) carry only a very low risk for HIV transmission/acquisition.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected. Your symptoms are not suggestive of, or worrisome for, HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS).

I'm quite confident your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test will be negative.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Anal Warts & HIV Transmission
Next
Am i really hiv negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.