Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OCD under tratment, please help!
Jan 21, 2011

Ciao Dr. Bob, first of all: complimenti pe il tuo italiano. Perfetto, davvero. Sono italiano.

Here is the serious part of my letter. I am an OCD sufferer. I just started a CBT with exposure and response prevention. So, believe me, I think I can fight it, and I'm putting all my efforts on that.

I work in a hospital (...even DOCs get OCD!). Hospitals are not so clean and safe places... I know... I fear of transmitting bloodeborne diseases around me. I got some answers but I am always struggling for the truth. Ok I know it's a part of my OCD condition being always in need of reassurances... Nevertheless I agreed with my psyk that some more CORRECT information could do no harm to me, and should generate a good basis to start on.

You always tell that dry blood with HIV in is not really a problem... but what abot HCV and HBV??? I am puzzled. Me, myself, I am vaccinated (against HBV). Nevertheless, as I told you, I am overwhelemd by the fear of touching this nasty germs and trasmit them elsewhere with my hands (Hyper-responsibility OCD). e.g. I use my mobile phone in the hospital, some nasty germs can be on it... the virus can stick to my hands... and i can transmit it further on... then someone touches where I touched... where it's dirty, then touches his/her conjunctiva or other mucous membranes... what happens? Can he she get the illness (in particular hepatitis?)

Riassumendo: It is not so clear how much HBV lives outside the body... and OK it's not "safe" to share tooutbrushes and so on... but if we touch some contaminated object (of course not visibly) then we touch our mucosal membranes... can we REALLY get ill (hepatitis B and C, for exemple?)

Per favore, ce la sto mettendo tutta, dammi una mano anche tu.

Te ne sono grato, un abbraccio, doc OCD.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Caro doc OCD,

Grazie per le tue parole gentili riguardo al mio italiano. Perché non mi hai scritto in italiano?

Quanto a HBV, ti sei già vaccinato. Quindi non preoccuparti: sei immune.

HCV, benché può sopravvivere fuori dal corpo per un tempo limitato, non è trasmesso via il modo che tu suggerisci. Ancora una volta, non preoccuparti.

Buona fortuna e un abbraccio.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Thanks for Advice
Next
Anal sex with hiv+ partner

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.