Sex with prostitute, 3-4 times, WILL DONATE

Dear Dr. Bob, Hope you are doing well. This is in continuation of the post answered by you on the 7th, this month, with the same title. As I had told you earlier, I had some urinary burning, with itching on the corona of the glans on the left, which could have been due to irritation ( latex condoms ). I took a course of ciprofloxacin for 5 days, which releived the symptoms for the period I took the tablets, but the symptoms came back 1-2 days after I stopped. I saw a doctor, & he did not find anything on the physical exam, discharge or rash. Becuse my symptoms were bothering me & because of my history, he gave me Azithromycin single dose. My symptoms are much better now. My urine analysis was normal. My question: If my symtoms resolved after the dose, suggesting I had some infection, would it mean I was at risk of acquiring HIV virus as well?? I had checked my condoms after my encounters & they were intact for sure, then I could I have acquired the infection ( Chlamydia/ mycoplasmal etc). In the same way, HIV could have been transmitted as well, right??? Although I know the risk of HIV is 1/10,000/ unprotected encounters & that is pretty low as compared to other common STDs. Please tell me the odds of a negative test in 3 months??? I was really concerned because I had a flu like illness with sterp tonsillitis, after a month after my encounters, which really drained me, although a few around me developed exactly the same in the nxt few days.

I am really thankful to you for taking time out & responding to all our queries. I have already donated a sum to your foundation & would continue to dod so, no matter. Thanks.

Would your clinical course suggest you had a risk of acquiring HIV? Not necessarily, as no specific STD was actually diagnosed. Consequently, we can't really conclude you had one. Your odds of testing HIV negative remain extremely good.

Good luck!

sex with prostitutes 3-4 times, WILL DONATE! Jan 11, 2011

Dr. Bob,

Thanks for the appreciation. I just made a donation to your foundation. I have had some burning & pain at the corona of glans of my penis for the last 3-4 days. There is no discharge from the urethra or urinary discoloration. My last sexual adventure was about a week back. I do not have any rashes on my genitalia, or any palpable lymph nodes. I have had similar episodes when I wasnt sexually active, exacerbated by use of latex condoms & masterbation, with previous STD checks & UAs being negative ( 6 months back). They subsided on their own. Do you think the above warrant an STD screen now? I have been masterbating quite frequently with latex condoms, & my glans is exposed most of the time to my underwear because of lack of foreskin l/t friction & irriatation. Also, how ceratin are you about my HIV tests being negative, considering my sexual behaviour & correct & consistant use of condoms.

If you've had similar episodes in the past exacerbated by use of latex condoms and masturbation and you report lately you've been masturbating frequently with latex condoms, I would assume the problem is irritation and not an STD, just as it was before. If you are at all concerned or if the symptoms persist or progress, an STD screen is simple to obtain. You might also try non-latex condoms, such as those made with polyisoprene (Lifestyles "Skyn" condoms or Durex "Avanti Bare").

Regarding your HIV-acquisition risk, I have not altered my assessment. See below.

sex with prostitutes 3-4 times, WILL DONATE! Jan 10, 2011

Thanks Dr. Bob for the answer. I will be donating to the foundation very soon. I am a man of my word, as you are. Thanks. I dont think I had put my self at risk by using protection but for having sex with escorts. I will take another test in 2 months from now, just to be sure.

Thanks for your thanks and for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Both are warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free!

Good luck. Be well. Stay well.

sex with prostitutes 3-4 times, WILL DONATE! Jan 7, 2011

HEY DR. ROBERT,

I HOPE THIS FINDS YOU WELL. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME I WD BE POSTING THE QUESTION. I AM WILLING TO DONATE TO THIS GOOD CAUSE. I HAVE HAD SEX WITH ESCORTS, ABOUT 3-4 TIMES SINCE MID OCTOBER, WITH CONDOMS, WHICH REMAINED INTACT THROUGH OUT ( I CHECKED THEM THOROUGHLY). I HAD A FLU LIKE ILLNES IN MID DECEMBER, WHICH REALLY DRAINED THE ENERGY OUT OF ME. I LASO GOT AN HIV ANTIBODY TEST IN MID DECEMBER, WHICH WAS NEGATIVE. I KNOW YOU MIGHTHAVE BEEN ASKED THIS ABOUT THIS BUT, AM I AT RISK OF ACQUIRING HIV, COZ CONDOMS ARE NOT 100% PROTECTIVE?? I USED DUREX ULTRATHIN CONDOMS. DO I NEED TO GET ANOTHER HIV ANTIBODY TEST IN 3 MONTHS?? I WD BE HAPPY TO DONATE. PLEASE ANSWER. THANKS

You are correct: I have been asked very similar questions gazillions of times before. You can find those very consistent responses in the archives of this forum. The bottom line is that HIV cannot permeate intact latex. No way. No how. Consequently, if latex condoms are used properly and don't fail (break), the HIV-transmission/acquisition risk is essentially nonexistent. However, condoms are frequently used improperly in a wide variety of ways. General guidelines suggest that sexually active folks (multiple partners) get STD screened (including HIV testing) every 6 to 12 months. If you are at all worried that you may have placed yourself at risk for HIV with your escort adventures, get a single HIV-antibody test three months or longer from the time of your last potential exposure.

Continue to play safe and you'll stay safe.

Meniere's/Migraines HIV
Just to thank Dr. Bob, no need to post back!