8 weeks/negative/and seroconversion ? 2nd request

Dear Dr. Bob,

I will donat $50.00 to wherever you would like me to do it. Just let me know. I am so very nervous. My last anal/receving & giving was approximately 11-15-10. That guy I was with tested negative on 11-23, but told me he had some unsasfe encounter on month prior (giving unprotected oral). I am 53. I have been celebate and negative for 10 years prior. I had one other unprotected encounter receiving oral sex on 09-15-10. Since 11-23, I have had 2 antigen tests & one pcr test on 1-17 and the latter 1-3, both negative. I have developed "brown spots" and a slight rash on my face & chest. The dermatologist told me they are age spots (face and arms and back).The rash I am told is "non-specific". I also have noticed skin changes on my knuckles (hardening & white spots). I have no ennlarged lymph nodes per my doctor, but bulging veins on my hands and feet and at time, my temples. I went to an HIV infectious disease specialist doctor who examined me & he said these are not symptoms of HIV-I should have no worries. So far, no cough or fever. My doctors said the pcr and antigen tests are very reliable and I have a 99.9% chance I am not infected. I have had muscle aches and lower back pain. The doctor says I am obsessed with having HIV and stressing myself out. I am in S. Korea and trying to help myself the best I can (I am wondering if I am in seroconversion)to get informed, except that I a VERY stressed and have no avbailability of a counselor - no one to talk to. A pyschartrist gave me meds and said this is all in my head.. I am also fatigued and eat a lot of food (more than normal) and just about maintain my weight. I also seem to have facial wasting. Is that possible in serconversion? Given my tests and situation I a afraid to ask, but does it look like I trending towards a postive test result? How reliable are those tests I took at 8 weeks. My doctor says they are both "very sensitive" to picking up the virus if it is in my body. Please help if you can. I am giving up hope and feel very alone. can you recommend anyone else to see here in Seoul, S. Korea in regard to my situation that can further help me? thanks much. I am in such emotional and physical pain.

Jeff

Hello Jeff,

Unprotected anal sex does place you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, HIV testing is warranted. Your undetectable HIV antigen and PCR tests out to two months are very encouraging. I agree with your doctor that the odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from this lapse in judgment (unsafe sex). I would encourage you to get an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark, as it remains the "gold standard" for HIV diagnostic testing. I'm very confident it, too, will be negative.

Your "symptoms" are not at all consistent with HIV acute retroviral syndrome (ARS). I agree with your psychiatrist and other doctors: HIV is not your problem; fear of HIV is! Your symptoms are related to stress, anxiety and irrational HIV fears.

Unfortunately I don't have any personal contacts with psychiatrists in Seoul. However, any good general medicine physician there should be able to give you a referral to someone who can help you confront and conquer your HIV fears.

Thank you for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Be well.

IS PEP necessary
testing for hiv