Please Doc....NYFirefighter. More symptoms!

Doctor- In light of my recent symptoms I would like to ask you once more about my HIV concerns. For the last few months I have now been having non-stop intertrigo of skin folds of groin, rashes on shoulder blade and in/around armpit, eczema and what looks to be like chest folliculitis. I was diagnosed with sever sleep apnea and hopefully that accounts for my sever fatigue. In light of all this, is there ANY way that I could still be HIV positive? My testing goes back to Feb 2008 and consists of 3 negative rapid orals, 1 blood draw negative and 15 Red Cross blood donations (19 total!). My primary care doctors still have NO answers and more symptoms are appearing. Is it possible that after 3+ years I am still testing negative but in fact positive? Is there anything else I should do w/ regards to HIV? Doctor, please find the time to answer me you seem to be my only help with this mess. Thank you and God Bless.

Waiting to give you your firetruck ride- NYFirefighter

Hey NY Firefighter,

Are you back again with the same worries, even after my previous comments of "WOO-HOO, YA-HOO and fuhgeddaboutit"???!!! Despite your sleep apnea and various skin problems, I have not changed my firm assessment that HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. By the way, sleep apnea and the types of skin ailments you describe are not even associated with HIV/AIDS!

Is there anything else you should do with regards to HIV??? Nothing other than what I've already advised: FUHGEDDABOUTIT!!! Stop worrying about a disease you could not possibly have.

Now about that firetruck ride. Do I get to wear the fancy hat as well?

NY Firefighter offers thanks! Apr 7, 2009

Dr. Bob-

You truly are a great person for all that you do here, and in life. I can't thank you enough for replying to me. I want to make a donation somehow (lots of overtime..lol) can you tell me how to do so?

Little off the mark, but would you have any idea if there are things that really can cause months of recurring genital (inner thigh skin fold) rashes and/or jock itch like problems? In HIV when would it happen? Very late or early? I know...I know I dont have it, lol.

You answered me on March 31st and it made my day and year probably. Can I resume trying to have a baby now? Im truly in the clear Doc Bob?

Thanks for everything...I really mean it!

NY Firefighter

Hey Firefighter Guy,

Welcome back to the forum and I'm delighted my response made your day/year! Now, what about my firetruck ride????

Regarding your follow-up question, there are quite a number of potential causes for a persistent/recurrent jock-itch-like problem, including classic jock itch (fungal infection). Unfortunately I cannot diagnose specific rashes over the Internet. (No, don't send a photo!) I'd suggest you see a dermatologist. They should be able to clear up this kind of very common problem quite quickly.

"HIV late or early?" Fuhgeddaboutit!!! HIV is not your problem, remember?!?

Can you resume trying to have a baby now? Absofrickinlutely! Turn off the computer and let the baby-making begin! YA-HOO!!!

Are you truly in the clear? Dude, you've got a "WOO-HOO" that you're definitively HIV negative plus a "YA-HOO" to get back to baby-making. How much more "in the clear" can you be? And why the hell are you still reading this instead of procreating???

You're welcome for everything. Now where is my firetruck ride???

Firefighter in need of your reply, 3rd try Mar 31, 2009

Doctor Bob- Please help me with my situation. I am 33 white hetero male who ended a relationship with ex girlfriend in Aug 2007 (lots of unprotected penile/vag sex). Since then I have been having extreme fatigue, post nasal drip, skin problems, lots of recurring jock itch and others in groin area, and some ED problems. From Feb 2008 till present I have tested HIV negative many times. Eg: three orasure rapid oral at Co. Health, 1 blood draw ELISA and four Red Cross donations Neg also (regular donor). However even with NUMEROUS trips to Primary care doc, no answers yet and "symptoms" still persist to this day. Last HIV tests were in Feb 2009 (1.5 years post exposure risk). I do get spinal epidurals for back pain every 3-4 months. #1- Any chance I cannot produce antibodies #2-Could all these tests be false negative this far out? #3- Do I need to worry about rare subtypes (ex g/f was white and from my small town)? #4- Is there ANY chance I have HIV or these symptoms are from HIV?

Thanks so much Doctor. Firefighter needing your reassurance!

Hi Firefighter Guy,

Usually I skip questions about multiple negative tests well beyond the window period because I've responded to gazillions of them over the years (check the archives) and my response is always the same: A negative HIV test taken outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time. However, I've always had a soft spot for firefighters, so here's your personalized response. But you better never let my house burn down. And I want a ride in the fire truck some night as well . . . .

1. No. No chance whatsoever.

2. No. Absolutely not.

3. No. Absolutely not.

4. No. Absolutely not.

OK, here it comes: Your multiple HIV-negative tests out to 1.5 years are definitive and conclusive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV tests are warranted. A negative HIV test taken outside the window period trumps "symptoms" each and every time. (Sound familiar?)

Unfortunately I cannot diagnose the cause of your symptoms over the Internet; however, what I can do with absolute certainty is advise you what's not causing them: It's not HIV! If your primary care doctor has been unable to help, consider getting a second opinion. If no physical cause can be found for your symptoms, you should be evaluated for possible psychosomatic illness.

Good luck Firefighter Guy. And don't forget my fire truck ride.

Am I Infected?
Please take my question Dr. Bob, I will continue donating to the foundation, thanks!