Lambskin Hell

Dr. Frascino:

I made a horrible mistake of inattention. Just starting a relationship w/ a particular girl. Really like her. Known her for a couple years, but just started dating. We just had sex for the first time, somewhat unexpectedly, at her place. She gave me a lambskin condom, saying it was "special." I always use protection but didn't know until the next day whjen I wiki'd it, the dangerous porousness of lambskin. What the hell! After all these years playing it safe, this is what happens to me: I asked her about it a couple days later and she told me it was the first time she'd used lambskin, that it was part of her attempt to be in more control of her sex life, and that she practiced safe sex and has always checked out fine w/ her doc on hiv tests, etc. She said she was glad I brought the subject up. I don't want to freak out and ruin what we might have together by seeming suspicious of her. But it's been a week and a half and already I have symptoms: A day or two after the encounter I had a sore throat. Then About a week after the encounter, I caught a cold and a bad cough for a day or two. Cold is gone but Now I've got upset stomach, diarhea (loose stools this afternoon). It's been 1 week 5 days. No swollem lymph nodes or rash but I'm sure that's next. I've got several weeks before I can get a test and know if I bring it up w/ her again she'll start to wonder about my sanity, but on the other hand I feel increasingly anxious about this encounter and fear I'm infected (yes, I know it's cold season, bunch of my friends I was hanging out w/ coughed on me, and the diarhea might be the result of drinking gallons of honey and tea to heal throat; doesn't mean I'm not scared as shit). I want to talk to this potential gf/grim reaper more about safe sex issues but don't know how.

If your gal-pal (aka grim reaper) wants to be more in control of her sex life and feels she's practicing safe sex by using a lambskin condom, she obviously has much to learn. Why not suggest getting HIV-tested together? Because lambskin does not protect against HIV, she should be just as concerned as you are about possible HIV exposure. (How does she know you are HIV negative, right?) You can educate her about the HIV risks associated with the use of lambskin condoms and advise you both get rapid HIV tests just for peace of mind. Rapid HIV tests provide accurate results in just a few short minutes.

As for your symptoms, I wouldn't worry. Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

Time to set safe sex straight! (COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET, 2011)
Somehow I need to clear my mind as I'm scared.