Different answer - hiv and antibiotic - Czech Rep.

Dear Doctor, please, 8 weeks after exposition I was on hiv dual test and test was negative - i was so happy. But doctor in Czech Republic told me, that it can be false negative - because i had an antibiotic 2 weeks before my test. I am now so depresed :-(. But you write, that antibiotic canÂt affect hiv result. So i donÂt know what is tru. Please can you explain it me?

Many thanks

A.

Hello A,

Antibiotics will not affect the results of HIV tests.

Your negative eight-week test is encouraging, but not yet conclusive. You'll need to wait until the three-month mark to get a definitive result on an HIV-antibody test. You can read much more about HIV-diagnostic tests in the archives of this forum. Have a look.

Am i paranoid?
Time to set safe sex straight! (COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET, 2011)