Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP for exposures to HIV positive partner
Jan 12, 2011

hello...i was informed last night that the partner who i have been having intermittant unsafe sex with for the past two months, is HIV +...he had been with a previous partner until 5 months ago who was HIV positive, but all his tests had come back negative up until just before they sesperated... he began gettign flu like symptoms about three weeks ago and finally we both were tested last night...mine is negative (thank god) for today and next test will be three months out in april...his was positive...should i immediately go on PEP therapy...wher do i get it...i am very confused?...please help!!!!!!!!!!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

You've been having intermittent unsafe sex with a guy for the past two months? Dude, what's up with that? You've broken both of Dr. Bob's Cardinal Rules!

Cardinal Rule #1: We must always assume our sex partners could be HIV infected and take all the necessary precautions to prevent spread of the virus.

Cardinal Rule #2: Always remember Cardinal Rule #1!

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) needs to be started as soon as possible and not later than 72 hours following a significant HIV exposure. You've been doing the unsafe horizontal mattress mambo for two months. Consequently PEP would not be warranted. You will need HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks. You can read much more about PEP, HIV testing and related issues in the archives of this forum. Hopefully others reading this post will realize that unsafe sex is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences.

Good luck with your upcoming HIV tests. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Dr. Bob

Previous
Please help me- I think I'm losing my mind
Next
Needle Prick

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.