PEP for exposures to HIV positive partner

hello...i was informed last night that the partner who i have been having intermittant unsafe sex with for the past two months, is HIV +...he had been with a previous partner until 5 months ago who was HIV positive, but all his tests had come back negative up until just before they sesperated... he began gettign flu like symptoms about three weeks ago and finally we both were tested last night...mine is negative (thank god) for today and next test will be three months out in april...his was positive...should i immediately go on PEP therapy...wher do i get it...i am very confused?...please help!!!!!!!!!!

You've been having intermittent unsafe sex with a guy for the past two months? Dude, what's up with that? You've broken both of Dr. Bob's Cardinal Rules!

Cardinal Rule #1: We must always assume our sex partners could be HIV infected and take all the necessary precautions to prevent spread of the virus.

Cardinal Rule #2: Always remember Cardinal Rule #1!

PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) needs to be started as soon as possible and not later than 72 hours following a significant HIV exposure. You've been doing the unsafe horizontal mattress mambo for two months. Consequently PEP would not be warranted. You will need HIV-antibody testing at both the three- and six-month marks. You can read much more about PEP, HIV testing and related issues in the archives of this forum. Hopefully others reading this post will realize that unsafe sex is not worth the potential catastrophic consequences.

Good luck with your upcoming HIV tests. I'm here if you need me, OK?

Please help me- I think I'm losing my mind
Needle Prick