Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Another Handshake Question... I'm really Sorry
Jan 5, 2011

Hello Dr. Bob I'm so sorry for asking advice on another handshake question but I'm having severe anxiety issues because of this. I promise to make a donation, i just need your advice if you have time. I don't know if i should spend $259 dollars to get and early detection test done because of this. Long story short, I'm a social worker that works with homeless people. I had a week old scab on my hand, and i didn't think anything of it at the time when i shook one of the homeless persons hand, afterwords i saw that he had a slight scratch on his thumb. Not sure if their was blood present or not. So a couple minutes after the hand shake, somehow my scab got peeled open, im guessing when i put my hands in my pocket. So my question doc is, am i at risk at all from the handshake or from my scab peeling open, which i like to add was bleeding a slightly. But was more of a watery discharge. Presuming the homeless man had HIV? Again i truly apologize for the lack of HIV knowledge i have. I been reading dozens of handshake forums, although they help, i need your advice on my situation to ease my mind. Thank you again Doctor Bob. I truly appreciate what you do!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Another handshake question and another "no risk" answer! It's a very consistent theme here! If HIV were transmitted that easily, it would have wiped out the planet years ago!

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated.

Be well. Stop worrying.

Dr. Bob

Previous
follow up after test. woohoo?
Next
Am i really hiv negative

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.