Will I be able to raise my kids?

Hi Dr. Bob If one were recently infected, what would be the chances of living 12 more years? I am a mother of two and was not infected through consensual sex. My children are only 7 and 8 years old and my heart is breaking. Everytime I look at them I wonder if I will even see them graduate from high school. I am extremely depressed and am seeing a counselor but it is already taking its toll on them. They know something is wrong with their mommy. If it wasn't for them I would be fine with just dying now. I know that you usually say you cannot answer questions of longevity and that you do not believe that hiv infected people have the same lifespan as those infected. I don't know what to do Dr, I cry all of the time. Then I just read the article of what the Republicans are planning to do with Aids funding. We are not going to even be able to look forward to improvements or medicine.

I can understand why your kids know "something is wrong with their mommy." What they are seeing is not HIV, but rather anxiety and depression! I'm glad you are seeing a counselor. You may need to see a psychiatrist (an MD), as you may need prescription medications, such as antidepressants and/or anti-anxiety mediations, as well as psychotherapy (counseling) to manage your anxiety and depression problems.

Regarding HIV, no one has a crystal ball that accurately can predict the future. However, most HIVers who have access to HIV specialists and antiretroviral medications are doing extremely well. I see no reason you shouldn't plan on dying of old age rather than old AIDS! I certainly do, and the virus found me two decades ago (January 1991). I'd suggest you read through the wealth of information on this site, in its archives and on the related links. You should find it both enlightening and reassuring.

I'm here if you need me. Let's get through this together and both be here for the cure, OK?

Gross but true
Should I stop testing?