Follow-up:Unprotected sex in pregnancy

Dear Dr. Bob thanks for your response. I feel much much worse after I read it, however. I am really sorry I misspelt "Unprotected" and from what I wrote you could guess I am really really REALLY sorry that I threatened my child. I am not a native speaker, so excuse my English once more. I am in a really bad psychical state, I am still considering many possibilities like HIV-O, I can't live normally anymore. And I can see you despise me, thanks. I wanted to ask you a question about HIV-O and possible detection by Abbott Combo Dual tests, unfortunately there are no HIV-O tests available in our country, but now I doubt you will respond. Anyway, thanks at least for the first comment. Happy New Year H.

First off I don't despise you. I merely wanted to point out your lapse in judgment could have catastrophic consequences. I should also point out that as we are only human; which means we all make mistakes. The important thing is to admit our mistakes, accept the consequences for our actions and learn from experience. I believe you have done all three.

Your four-month HIV test would be considered definitive, baring extenuating circumstances.

Regarding Abbott's Combo Dual test, yes, it does test for group O. I'll print some information about the test below. Unless you live or have sex with someone who has lived in West Africa where group O virus is endemic, it's extremely unlikely you have contracted this viral strain.

The Abbott ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo assay is a chemiluminescent microparticle immunoassay (CMIA) for the simultaneous qualitative detection of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) p24 antigen and antibodies to HIV type 1 (HIV-1 group M and group O) and/or type 2 (HIV-2) in human adult and pediatric serum and plasma (EDTA and heparin). The ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo assay is intended to be used as an aid in the diagnosis of HIV-1/HIV-2 infection, including acute or primary HIV-1 infection. The assay may also be used as an aid in the diagnosis of HIV-1/HIV-2 infection in pregnant women. An ARCHITECT HIV Ag/Ab Combo reactive result does not distinguish between the detection of HIV p24 antigen, HIV-1 antibody, or HIV-2 antibody.

unprotected sex in pregnancy Dec 31, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

I had an unptotected sex when 5-month pregnant and since then I have been seriously worried about my hiv status. I was tested several times - at 2, 3 and 4 month point (the 4-month test taken 14 days after the childbirth), all tests came back negative. However, I read several serious studies saying that pregnant women are more likely to contract hiv as their immunity is suppressed (there was nothing more about seroconversion or developping antibodies). My question is - do you think pregnancy which definitely brings changes also into the immunity system could alter or prolong the window period? Or do you think that my 4-month test can be conclusive? I have experienced an extreme stress the past 5 months, I suffer from several symptoms like burning tongue and lips and numbness in my muscles, now my baby is 1 month old and I am just crazy and losing my mind when I think I (or we!!!)could be hiv positive. I am definitely going to be tested in 5 and 6 months. Thanks for your response in advance.

"Unptotected" sex? What's that? Unprotected sex is a serious lapse in judgment, particularly when you are putting not only yourself but also your unborn child at risk for STDs, including HIV. Fortunately your HIV-antibody tests out to four months have been negative. Pregnancy does not alter the HIV seroconversion window timeframe. Dr. Bob

Addition of Isentress?
Therapy going Well for my Son - but we have another Situation - Could you please help?