The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

unprotected sex in pregnancy

Dec 31, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob, I had an unptotected sex when 5-month pregnant and since then I have been seriously worried about my hiv status. I was tested several times - at 2, 3 and 4 month point (the 4-month test taken 14 days after the childbirth), all tests came back negative. However, I read several serious studies saying that pregnant women are more likely to contract hiv as their immunity is suppressed (there was nothing more about seroconversion or developping antibodies). My question is - do you think pregnancy which definitely brings changes also into the immunity system could alter or prolong the window period? Or do you think that my 4-month test can be conclusive? I have experienced an extreme stress the past 5 months, I suffer from several symptoms like burning tongue and lips and numbness in my muscles, now my baby is 1 month old and I am just crazy and losing my mind when I think I (or we!!!)could be hiv positive. I am definitely going to be tested in 5 and 6 months. Thanks for your response in advance.

Response from Dr. Frascino


"Unptotected" sex? What's that?

Unprotected sex is a serious lapse in judgment, particularly when you are putting not only yourself but also your unborn child at risk for STDs, including HIV. Fortunately your HIV-antibody tests out to four months have been negative. Pregnancy does not alter the HIV seroconversion window timeframe.

Dr. Bob

Chewed a bloody band aid

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint