The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PEP effective

Dec 28, 2010

Dear Doc.

I had a sex with sex worker. She start with oral sucked my balls & penises then i wear condom and done the safe anal & virginal sex same time i was drunk so i don't know i had a cut like bitten in my penises ball skin. When I had sex suddenly after 30 mintus i taken a hot bath then i saw the cut then i went to VCT they given me PEP so how it is efficient after how long in need to go for test i mean what is maximum windows period. because i going to married in next 3month so 3month is enough. please help me out i need not to destroy some one life. if PCR test will work after one moth.

Response from Dr. Frascino


The sex worker sucked your "penises"? Exactly how many do you have?

Your HIV-acquisition risk is exceedingly low based on the information provided.

PEP can help avoid or abort a HIV infection when there has been a significant HIV exposure, but it is not 100% effective. A full course of PEP is 28 days in duration. Post-PEP HIV testing guidelines recommend HIV-antibody testing at four to six weeks, three months and six months from the date of exposure. PCR testing is generally not recommended for HIV-diagnostic screening.

If you are worried about HIV, you need to level with your fiancée and use latex condoms with her until your negative status can be reconfirmed (six months).

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

HIV (Pregnant Woman)
Chewed a bloody band aid

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint