Is he going to be o.k?

Hello Doctor,

I had unprotected sex 'bottom' with this guy that I was dating 3 times. The first time was in July 16, the second time was july 27, and august 10th. I converted between july 17-26 because I got a really bad flu then and the guy i was dating got a flu right after we hooked up on july 27th. He has taken two rapid test one in sept. and one just recently in dec. and both negative. I feel really guilty even though i wasnt aware at the time that i became positive. I didn't find out until august 18th that i was poz an by that time my vl was at 699,000, 2 months prior i was neg. My question is how accurate are those rapid tests? and if he has not developed antibodies at 41/2 months are his chances high of remaining negative?

Sorry to hear about your recent HIV diagnosis. Unfortunately your decision to have unprotected sex has resulted in your seroconversion and also increased the risk to one of your partners. Regarding his risk, he was exposed to you before you realized you were infected. Consequently you were not on antiretrovirals and most likely had a very high plasma viral load, which increases the chances of HIV transmission. Fortunately not every HIV exposure leads to HIV transmission. Your buddy's negative HIV-antibody test out to 4.5 months is very encouraging. Most, but not all, folks who are HIV infected develop detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection. Your buddy will need to retest at six months to have a definitive negative result.

I wish you both good luck!

thanks for the invite
96 hours after protected sex, and experiencing symptoms