Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Marijuana, tobacco, and delayed seroconversion
Dec 24, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

102 days ago i engaged in giving unprotected cunninglus and receiving unprotected fellatio from a prostitute I met online. since then I have tested to 101 days negative through numerous oral swabs, finger pricks, and a 12 week HIV 1/O/2 and std test which all came back negative. I have a few questions.

1) I was a regular pot smoker for about two years before all this has happened but since I made a wrong decision have since been pot free for 3 months now. Would the regular everyday pot smoking have supressed my immune system enough to delay seroconversion?

2) Also I have been a cigarette smoker for a long time and quit but now use chewing tobacco instead daily. Would all the tobacco use have suppressed my immune system enough to cause delayed seroconversion?

3) 2 week since this incident I have had recurrent hand dermatitis and ear congestion which my ENT said is due to allergies. Could this be because of a weaken immune system. I read your bio and saw that your were an allergist/immunologist also, have your ever heard of allergies causing the eustacian tubes to become congested or feeling full?

4) Is 101 days negative conclusive or should I test at six months? I also had a DNA by PCR which was negative with all the other test. I am just so afraid I have suppressed my immune system to the point where it won't react to HIV if I am infected until down the road like 6 months.

5) Do you think I will have a positive test at 6 months in light of all the information above and the incident I had with the lady of leasure? I am going to an allergist/immunologist on Jan 3 to do an allergy skin test, Immunglobins blood test and CBC. can I contact you with the results to be able to more assess my situation and possibility that all the 25 or more HIV test I have taken to all be false negatives?

Thanks for your time and have a happy holiday!

Worried Well # 1 million

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Worried Well #1 Million,

1. Nope.

2. Nope. However, if you don't quit using tobacco products, they will kill you in a very undignified and painful fashion. Chewing tobacco can cause mouth and throat cancer.

3. Your allergy-related problems are not due to a weakened immune system. In fact allergy is just the opposite. It's an overactive immune response to certain substances (pollen, dust, dander, etc.) that generally don't bother people. Regarding congested eustachian tubes, yes, respiratory allergies can cause this to occur.

4. I would consider your negative 101-day HIV-antibody test definitive. HIV is not your problem. No way. No how.

5. Absolutely not. Dude, you've had more than 25 negative HIV-antibody tests and an undetectable qualitative HIV PCR DNA. Exactly what part of HIV negative are you having difficulty understanding.

Stop testing. Stop worrying. Start WOO-HOO-ing.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Worried (SNORTING COCAINE THROUGH A ROLLED-UP DOLLAR BILL OR STRAW, 2010)
Next
received oralsex 5 years ago worried about hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.