Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Needing answers
Dec 24, 2010

I recently found out I was exposed to HIV and immediately went to be tested. The rapid test came out positive, and although I'm waiting for the conclusive test and hoping it comes out negative, I realize that those chances are slim. Although I'm trying to live my life as normal as possible I am the full realization that my life will never be the same. I am not extremely cautious about anyone who is sick, having open wounds around anyone, and of course sex. Although I know at this moment, I'm not looking to be in a sexually active relationship, I do know years down the road I would like to fall in love and be married and with that, comes sex. My question is besides condoms and spermicides what other ways, if any, are good ways of preventing sex? I refuse to ever put someone in the position of having to worry about whether they have been infected, even if this does mean being alone. I also refuse to make someone choose between taking the risk of exposure and being with me. So, in addition if I ever do marry are there ways to become pregnant without taking such a risk? Would things like in vitro even be worth it in my case? Thank you so much for taking the time to read this and reply. I want to make sure I'm as careful as possible and want to get as much information as possible so I can be prepared when I do come in contact with these situations

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Don't you think you're getting a little ahead of yourself here? I certainly do. You don't even have a confirmed HIV-positive test yet. I suggest you take things one step at a time. If you want to learn more about HIV, check out "The Basics," which can be accessed on The Body's homepage. There you will find chapters such as "Just Diagnosed."

I'm a bit perplexed by your question ". . . what are good ways of preventing sex?"!!! Preventing sex???? Chances are that's not what you intended. I'd suggest you review the information in the archives of this forum. We have chapters dedicated to HIV-sexual prevention, HIV transmission and also safer sexual techniques. Regarding pregnancy, yes, in vitro techniques can safely be employed. Check out the chapter on pregnancy in the archives.

I'm here if you need me.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Fish massage in Thailand
Next
Oh Manila, Dangerous place to be gay part II

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.