Condom broke during vaginal intercourse

Dear Dr.Frascino, Two days back I had an encounter with an escort (bad judgement on my part) and while having vaginal intercourse the condom broke but we didn't realize and I ejaculated inside her. As soon as I found out, I cleaned my penis with hot water and antibacterial soap and went to the ER. There they gave me a shot of antibiotic and also prescribed Doxycycline for 7 days and Truvada for 28 days. Next day morning both of us got tested (OraQuick Advance Rapid Antibody Test) and the result was NEGATIVE for both of us. What is the possibility of me getting infected by HIV? I don't have any cuts on my penis and it's now 48 hours after the incident and my genital area looks clean and dry. I am really worried, as at the center they have mentioned that there is a 3 month window period for the test and that means she was clean till 3 months back. Also my primary physician told me to discontinue Truvada.Should I discontinue? He told me not to worry. I will really appreciate a response from you. I feel very depressed. Thanks for your time. BS.

Hello B.S.,

That your escort tested HIV-antibody negative the morning after your failed-condom incident decreases your HIV-acquisition risk to the relatively remote possibility that she became infected very recently and is still within her window period (period after infection but before the development of detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood).

I would agree that PEP (post-exposure prophylaxis) should be discontinued, because your HIV-acquisition risk is exceedingly low. I also agree you should have an HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark. In addition, you should review the information in the archives of this forum pertaining to proper condom use. When used properly, condoms very rarely break.

Should I tell the children
Fish massage in Thailand