Risk Assesment

Hi Dr. Bob,

First, let me say that I love what you, thebody.com and all of your colleagues do for the community. Thank you!

I have a question regarding a possible exposure. Try and hang with me as I explain the timeline. A month and a half ago, I met someone and we messed around. It was no more than me receiving oral and both of us jacking off. A couple weeks later, we hooked up again. This time it was no more than me receiving oral, I performed oral on him (no more than a couple seconds) and only I ejaculated. Just this past weekend, we met up again, he performed really short oral on me and I just jacked off. After this meeting he informed me that he was positive and tested pos about a month ago. The day of our third meeting (this past weekend), I received my every-three-months-results back, which were negative. I've consulted my personal physician, asking about PEP and he describes my risk as extremely low and PEP was not for me. I'm interested in getting a second opinion. I believe my risk to be low and I plan on taking another test in two months. Your thoughts?

I agree that your HIV-acquisition risk is very low and that PEP would not be warranted. I also want to remind you that we all need to consider that all our sexual partners could be HIV positive and therefore take all the necessary precautions to stay safe and prevent transmission of the virus.

Happy Holidays.

Oh Manila, Dangerous place to be gay
Should I tell the children