Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Risk of HIV Exposure
Dec 23, 2010

Four days ago I engaged in homosexual anal sex with me being the receptive end, I found out that the top is HIV infected. The sex last for about five minutes or less and the top did not ejaculate (he was high). I didn't know he was HIV positive until a few days later. He was very forthcoming with all the questions I had and told me he has a very low viral count and is not on medication due to his "healthy" status. I had not had sex for years and am in good health. It was unprotected sex. What do you think that odds are that I am infected? I am extremely worried, these last few days have been hell. I need you advice.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your decision to have unprotected anal receptive sex was a colossal lapse in judgment. You placed yourself at considerable risk for STDs, including HIV. If your exposure had been within the past 72 hours, I would be strongly recommending that you immediately begin post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). Unfortunately PEP is not effective if more than 72 hours has lapsed since time of exposure.

That your "high" top-gun buddy is not on antiretrovirals increases your acquisition risk, even if he claims to be "healthy" and have a low viral load.

Your extreme worry is unfortunately warranted! Fortunately, however, not all HIV exposures lead to HIV transmission. Your exposure would be considered significant. HIV-antibody testing is warranted at the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck and wise up! Don't put yourself at risk in the future!

Dr. Bob

Previous
One Test Follow-up
Next
I'm so dissapointed (WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION, 2010)

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.