Risk of HIV Exposure

Four days ago I engaged in homosexual anal sex with me being the receptive end, I found out that the top is HIV infected. The sex last for about five minutes or less and the top did not ejaculate (he was high). I didn't know he was HIV positive until a few days later. He was very forthcoming with all the questions I had and told me he has a very low viral count and is not on medication due to his "healthy" status. I had not had sex for years and am in good health. It was unprotected sex. What do you think that odds are that I am infected? I am extremely worried, these last few days have been hell. I need you advice.

Your decision to have unprotected anal receptive sex was a colossal lapse in judgment. You placed yourself at considerable risk for STDs, including HIV. If your exposure had been within the past 72 hours, I would be strongly recommending that you immediately begin post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP). Unfortunately PEP is not effective if more than 72 hours has lapsed since time of exposure.

That your "high" top-gun buddy is not on antiretrovirals increases your acquisition risk, even if he claims to be "healthy" and have a low viral load.

Your extreme worry is unfortunately warranted! Fortunately, however, not all HIV exposures lead to HIV transmission. Your exposure would be considered significant. HIV-antibody testing is warranted at the three- and six-month marks.

Good luck and wise up! Don't put yourself at risk in the future!

One Test Follow-up
I'm so dissapointed (WHY DONT YOU ANSWER MY QUESTION, 2010)