Pregnant with 3rd child and HIV false positive

This is my 3rd child and I went to take the usual blood work. My Elisa test came back positive, however, my western blot came back negative. I know from your answers to the other questions regarding the same thing has come back that they are not HIV positive. I am my doctor's first patient with this situation. She is wanting me to take further tests at 3weeks, 3months, and one other time. She said that she spoke to a blood specialist about my case. I have been with my husband and only my husband for 10 years so I know that I know that I am not HIV postive. Is it out of the ordinary for my doctor to ask to do further testing (PCR DNA tests -I believe she said) when I tested negative to the Western blot?

I would suggest you ask your obstetrician to consult with an HIV specialist rather than a blood specialist.

A qualitative HIV PCR DNA test can be helpful in sorting out confusing HIV-antibody test results, because PCR testing does not rely on anti-HIV antibodies but rather assays for a piece of the virus's genetical material.

You do not need a lot of additional testing. If your obstetrician wants additional proof of your negative status, one additional test should be more than enough.

Finally, it's always worth pointing out that since you've had no HIV exposures there is absolutely no way you could be HIV infected. Your obstetrician could use a remedial course in HIV basics!

Happy Holidays.

Merry Christmas!
PLEASE MR. ITALY I DONT WANNA GET HIV