Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

FORGET THE D*$% COOKIES - BRING OUT THE MISTLETOE -- IM READY - oh, I'll donate after the mistletoe :)
Dec 23, 2010

Dr. Bob,

Help !!

Dr. Bob at work today a woman who has HIV handed me a document. As you can imagine Minnesota is very cold state. So this lady that is HIV + ,,, She is always biting her skin around her nails. She doesn't bite her nails but bites the skin around them. So she always has pulled out skin or pulled back skin from biting her nails. (scabby looking hands -- yuck) So her hands look awful and looks like her fingers sting from the biting and the cold. I also have a couple fingers that are dry and cracked and messed up from myself pulling off some dry skin. And believe me they do sting when you mess with them or apply pressure to the areas where they are at.

Well I today she directly handed my a document. So without thinking I took it from her hand. Got back to my desk and my mind started going nuts. I watch her chewing on her fingers all the time. And nervously biting around her nails. So knowing her, I asked her if she had been biting and pulling on her skin and nails recently. She showed them to me and there were two of them on her hand that looked awful,( index finger and another one). I just had to ask. How old they were and she said about an hour was the last time she was biting her fingers. I went home sick just thinking about it. I have a few of the same spots on my fingers-where it is a red with pulled back skin from doing the same thing. I guess it's habit up here. That is the same hand I used to grab and carry the document from her today. I grabbed it immediately.

Please answer me so I can rest. My anxiety is now running wild and I know sleep will be far from me.

YOU are a Wonderful man Dr. Bob helping so many people around the world. Please help me and answer me directly so I know this pertains to me and what to do. So I can either put this behind me or move on with what-ever it is you guide me to do. Treatment, this PEP stuff. Whatever!

1.) Dr. Bob? What are my chances of getting the HIV virus from this HIV+ woman if I had touched the document right from her in the same spot she had held it. What if any HIV fluid from her fingers got onto that document and touched my spots? I immediately touched it. No time went by. I just grabbed it from her. What if my spot touched the document right where her spots were when she handed it to me. I know it did??? Again, what are my chances of catching HIV from this?

2.) Do I have anything to be terrified about? Should I get a test? I am staying away from my family after this so I do not spread anything to them. I am a married woman with children and now this is happening :( . I am so terrified!!

Once again Dr. Bob ,, I hope you can answer my concerns and I can move on with my life and get close to my family again.

I think you are marvelous man and I will give a real nice donation to your Foundation. Please supply me with an address.

I could go on because I will not be sleeping at all until I hear from you and can figure out what my next step is.

Thank You so much for reading this Dr. Bob - Happy Holidays and a Nice New Year!!

Tabitha

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Tabitha,

Tabitha? Hmm. Cool name. Haven't heard it since the old television series "Bewitched" went off the air in the early 70s. You don't happen to have a grandmother named Endora; do you?

1. Nonexistent.

2. Absolutely not. Testing is not warranted.

Thanks for your support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Happy Holidays.

Dr. Bob

Previous
telling people
Next
It's holiday now,"physically well" Alex tested again,tried to make sure in these HOLY DAYS!have a look Dr.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.