Rethinking things

Dear Dr. Bob: I guess it is time to say that there is no cure for HIV and there will be no cure fro HIV. I am a biomedical researcher and may state this with all kinds of proves. The major prove is, however, that despite of 20 years of research and 100 billion dollars spent the HIV vaccine has not appeared even at the remotest horizons. All research regarding the cure seems to be a blunt hoax, while the cure merely reduced to prolonging sufferings of thousands of people. HIV is mostly spread around by IV drug users lunacy- driven homsex/bisex and promiscuous individuals. The best bet to curb the spread of HIV would be to educate people of danger of reckless mad behaviour. Researh seems worthless as the complexity of the desease makes all our efforts perfectly futil. Why in your archive I did not see much essays on stoping people to be irrational? HIV/AIDS is deadful. Best regards (e grazie per la sua esigenza importante) Fernando

Hello Fernando,

I couldn't disagree with you more! While it is true that we currently do not have a cure for HIV (aside from the unusual case of the Berlin patient), the search for a cure has recently been reinvigorated on multiple levels. In Vienna, just prior to the XVIII International AIDS Conference, the International AIDS Society (IAS) held a separate conference/workshop entitled "Towards a Cure: HIV Reservoirs and Strategies to Control Them." The information presented was fascinating and very encouraging. In addition to this conference, the non-profit organization amFAR has instituted a targeted program supporting collaborative cure-related research named ARCHE (amFAR Research Consortium for HIV Eradication).

The growing interest in cure-related research has resulted in a number of informative articles. Check out the August/September issue of Topics in HIV Medicine. You'll find an article by Robert Siciliano, MD, PhD entitled "What Do We Need to Do to Cure HIV Infection?" (http://www.iasusa.org/pub/topics/2010/issue3/104.pdf. Also, check out the July 15, 2010 issue of Nature for an article by Virginia Hughes entitled "The Outlook for a Cure." (http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v466/n7304_supp/full/nature09240.html. These are just a few examples.

As for new HIV infections being driven by unsafe sexual activity versus IV drug abuse, that depends on location. In Eastern Europe and Central Asia the AIDS epidemic is largely fueled by injection drug use. Certainly we need better HIV/AIDS awareness and prevention campaigns to help fight "reckless mad behavior," whether that be unsafe sex or IV drug use.

I think your "rethinking" needs some rethinking.

Status Question
Self-Forgivness