Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried - Need Guidance
Dec 22, 2010

Dear Dr Frascino, Thank you for being a reassuring voice of reason for so many ill-informed and scared people like me. You are doing a great service. I am a 36 yr old married male. I am work in a diffrenet city and am away from family for past 1 year. During a business trip about 10 weeks back, I had unprotected oral sex with a sex worker (she fellated me). I did not notice any bleeding gums / ulcers in her mouth. I had shaved my pubic area a couple of days back and some areas might have been sore due to that. The sex worker had licked on these areas. I also inserted my fingers in her vagina. Later I realized that I had two very small scabs on my index finger (formed over what might have been small abrasions). I'm sure these were not bleeding. This is the only time in my entire life that I had sex with anyone other than my wife. I am feeling extremely guilty and scared that in one moment of indiscretion, I have blown away my life and my wife's trust. I am aware that I need to get tested at 12 weeks and am counting each day after the incidence. I am extremely shaken and worried. Doctor, my specific queries are: 1. How significant was my exposure? 2. What do you think are the chances I might have gotten infected with HIV? 3. In your replies you often mention a 3 month cut off for testing - does it mean 90 days or 84 days (12 weeks) is acceptable. Please advise. NA

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello NA,

The HIV-acquisition risk for unprotected insertive oral sex is very low. Vaginal fingering with "two very small non-bleeding scabs on (your) index finger" would not be considered an HIV risk.

Regarding your specific questions:

1. Minimal risk

2. Extremely low to negligible

3. The immune system really can't tell the difference between 84 and 90 days.

Good luck with your definitive three-month HIV-antibody test.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Would like a whoo-hoo from Dr. Bob
Next
Herpes, Betrayal, Cervix Mysterys, and HIV risk--Oh my!!!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.