A Blessed Christmas and Hally New Year to You Dr. Bob - I would like to make a Donation

Dear Mr. Dr. Bob,

I know you get a lot of e-mails and I hope it's in your heart to help us get through a situation that happened at church - as this will allow our family to have a Happy Christmas. My husband and I have family coming to town and I don't want any of them to know there is something wrong. I am worried and my family already senses something. Plus I have children who have weak immune systems the way it is and I do not want to put them in any danger.

We were at church today for a Christmas Service. One of the Mission Pastors who is HIV+ came up and shook my hand. I reached out to shake his hand back, in which I did. This Pastor is also a Carpenter ( installs floors) and had his hands all banged up. He had scabs and scratches and dry skin on it and I asked him how he got those scabs and everything else. He told me from work yesterday. I just had to ask because I had some skin I pulled off of the palm of my hand last night (about 4 hour ago) and I know I pulled off too much skin because it stings. I didn't bandage or cover up my hand this morning before church, because I didn't think about it. Now I shook this mans hands without either of us covering or wearing bandages. What also worries me is that this Pastor is the Homeless Pastor so He is constantly working with the Homeless and people that have HIV. My question is two-fold.

1. What are my chances in catching HIV from shaking this mans hand because of the condition both of our hands are in?

2. Plus, after the service he handed me one of his business cards. So I grabbed the card and there was a stain on the card. The hand I grabbed the card with my fingers. One of my fingers has a two hour old scratch on it I got while shaving my legs in the shower. When I grabbed his card I noticed my scratch was laying direclty across this stain on his card. Again I didn't have my (this) scratch bandaged or covered either. Now with this 2 hour old fresh scratch on my finger and it laid right across the stain of the card. If the stain had anything to do with any type of HIV+ fluids( semen or blood or anything) What are my chances of catching HIV from this situation as well?

Do I need to get a test? I just got a full blood check-up with my yearly and I do not have HIV. I am worried Dr. Bob and I think you are the only man (Dr.) that can help me get this out of my mind and move on with the Holidays and my life. And more so, keep my family in tact. I cannot pose any fear during the Holidays as we have enough anxiety with the family life. Is there anything else I need to do here Dr. Bob?

I hope you have a Happy Christmas and a Wonderful New Year.

Christmas Donation and New Year Donation will be sent. Do you want me to send it directly to your Foundation?

Merry Christmas Dr. Bob, Catherine

Hello Catherine,

1. Nonexistent.

2. Nonexistent.

Do you need an HIV test? No absolutely not. Is there anything else you need to do? Yes, you need to relax! Your HIV fears are totally irrational. If my reassurance is not sufficient for you to shake these fears, consider getting psychotherapy (counseling) to help you confront and conquer these totally unwarranted worries.

Thank you for your tax-deductible donation to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation. It's warmly appreciated. Donation information, including the foundation's address, can be found on the foundation's Web site, www.concertedeffort.org.

Happy Healthy Holidays to you and your family.

HIV transmission through nasal spray
Brief Anal Penetration (Dip) and PEP