Thanks to you I went to get tested - negative!

Dear Dr Bob,

First of all: Thank you! I think without your latest, encouraging message I would not have been brave enough to get my hiv and hepatitis tests done.

You asked me to get back to you with the results and here I am: Today I was told I tested negative for both hiv and hepatitis, and I am sooooo relieved - I feel about 100 kg lighter.

However, I don't feel like woo-hooing yet, instead I'm in a rather reflective mood, thinking how easily it could have been the other way round, and my evening now would be VERY different. I feel really really grateful that I was lucky this time.

I will from now on work on being more confident when it comes to relationships. My last partner always made fun of me when I raised the issue of sexual health ("Do you want me to visit you with a certificate next time" "Don't you trust me" bla bla bla...)

In future I guess I will not even think about taking my clothes of if a man is not mature enough to take hiv & Co. seriously !!!

By the way, the testing centre where I live (in France) did not do an ELISA test. They used the Abbott Architect HIV Ag/Ab Combo, and the result says: negative for HIV 1 and 2. But there is number next to it : 0.10

I only saw that number at home so couldn't ask the doc there. If you have a second, could you kindly explain what that means? (As there is a slight mini-worry left that this could mean something bad.....).

Is the Abbott replacing the ELISA test? I just had a look on the Body's website but couldn't find an answer to that. Only found out that the Abbott has been approved quite recently.

Anyway Dr Bob, I hope I can trust those results, even if my six months haven't been quite up - I was two weeks early!

So, once again my HUGE Thank You to you. I am ever so grateful for your advice and moral support (I even printed your last reply to encourage me).

I have the greatest respect for your work and as long as I have an income and as long as your organisation exists, you can count me amongst your regular donators.

I wish you a lovely Christmas time and for the New Year health and happiness. Joyeux Noel !

WOOO-HOOO! Or in French, YOUPIE!

Thanks for your thanks and kind comments. They are appreciated.

The test you took (Abbott Architest HIV Ag/Ab Combo) is considered a fourth generation test. It includes an HIV-antibody test (like the ELISA) and an antigen test, which can sometimes pick up HIV infection a bit earlier. Your value, 0.10, is well under the cutoff value and merely means you are negative for HIV-1 and HIV-2. You can now put that mini-worry permanently to rest. Your negative results at two weeks short of six months are definitive, conclusive and Dr.-Bob-certified WOO-HOO-able! HIV is not your problem. No way. No how. No additional HIV (or hepatitis) tests are warranted.

I also wanted to extend a special thank you for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). This is urgently needed and very warmly appreciated in this season of giving. In return I'm sending you my good-luck/good-health karma that you are now and will forever be HIV free.

Be well. Stay well. Noel!

syphilis cure
Wondering (DISCLOSING HIV STATUS, 2010)