Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

very scared i have got hiv
Dec 18, 2010

I vitited Philippines and on Nov 28 i drank to much and had unorotected sex with a csw. A few days later it burned when i went pee so i went to the doctor there and got medicine and doctor told me i tested positive for gonorrhea. Almost 2 weeks later i got a rash all over my chest,back and a little on my arms that was pinkish and slightly raised which i fear is hiv rash. I went to hospital here (I back home now in Canada) and got a lot of blood work done and the results won't be ready for a few days. The doctor said the rash was disseminated macular rash and my septic workup negative. I know testing after a few weeks is to earily but i feel tired all the time now, and very scared it was hiv rash. The rash is pretty much gone now after about 4 days. I have never had a rash before. Thank you for any information you could give me!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Unprotected sex does put you at risk for STDs, including HIV. Consequently, STD screening, including HIV testing, is warranted. Your risk is increased, because you contracted gonorrhea, which makes it easier for HIV to be transmitted at the same time. If your doctor feels your rash and other symptoms are consistent with acute retroviral syndrome, he could order an APTIMA HIV-1 RNA Qualitative Assay, which is now FDA approved for HIV diagnosis and can pick up acute HIV infection before seroconversion (development of detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in the blood).

God luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Re: Posible Infection!
Next
Just a note to say

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.