The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary


Dec 18, 2010

I had a recent unanticipated sexual exposure to HIV. I received a nPEP starter pack at the ED of a local University Hospital until I could see my doctor (I luckily have health insurance). I was able to get a referral to an ID doctor and without a delay continuing taking Truvada/Kaletra. So, all is good for the prophylaxis. But the question I have is that the ID doctor is saying I need to be on the meds for 6 weeks when I know that 28-days is the commonly followed regimen. Does my ID doc know something that is a better regimen or is she just not knowledgable about an nPEP regimen? My follow-up dilemna is that I have enough meds to get me through the entire 28-days but will need a prescription refill for the additional 2-weeks (6-weeks total). I have always followed a doctor's advice, so I am feeling guilty considering just taking the meds through the CDC's recommended 28-days and therefore not requesting a precription refill. Thanks for your advice.

Response from Dr. Frascino


A complete course of nPEP is 28 days. You are correct and your ID doctor is mistaken. If she insists on six weeks, I suggest you find another more competent HIV physician specialist. Consider using the locate-an-HIV-specialist function on the Academy of HIV Medicine's Web site at These physicians are certified HIV experts.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

mad young man' repost,for some misunderstandings.plese have a look.
Would you Please help a Young Lady before the Holidays? - I am making a Donation.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint