Anal sex after cancer treatment

I went through a bout with anal cancer this spring. Chemo and radiation got the tumor - all clear now. The radiation ended up narrowing my anal canal.

I'm too embarrassed to ask my doc about anal sex. Is it safe or is this part on my sexual life "permanently closed for business". Of course I'm referring to safe sex practice - my cancer was caused by HPV.

Thanks in advance

Congratulations on beating anal cancer!

Now what's this nonsense about being too embarrassed to talk to your doctor? You should be able to discuss anything with your physician. If you can't, you need to find a physician with whom you can work more closely and with whom you can be absolutely honest. I can assure you there is absolutely nothing you can say to an experienced physician that she hans't already heard.

Regarding the narrowed entrance to your love canal, this can generally be corrected with dilation or a minor surgical procedure to remove scar tissue while retaining sphincter tone. A colorectal surgeon should be able to help. Ask your HIV specialist or general medical doctor for a referral.

Please Calm My Nerves
HIV most infectious first 49 days?