Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

PLEASE POST FOR ALL WORRIED WELLS!!!!
Dec 14, 2010

Doc,

I just got back from my test and can I get a WOO HOO!! Negative!

I wanted to write for a few reasons. Most importantly, thank you for what you do on this site! I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent reading your answers over the past 90 days! Love the humor and the sage advice!

Secondly I wanted to send a note out to all of the worried wells in cyber space. To all of you, I know what the fear is like to live with daily! Searching over the internet, examining every part of my body with a microscope, wondering if that cold I had was really the first sign of infection. It was terrible! I had every symptom of infection the day after I read about it on line. I literally spent hours a day looking at the inside of my mouth for thrush, my skin for rashes... you name it I had the symptom. Well turns out the mind can do miraculous things but can also convince you that you are sick! Get tested and get relief!

Doc, Thanks again and please post this so it may provide some comfort to those out there suffering. My question to you, for those out there just like me the worried wells, is there any advances in the testing timeframe to reduce their agony? Are there any tests out there that can reduce the timeframe of the window period that are easily accessible? If not is that on the horizon?

Thanks.

PS A $200 donation will find its way to you after I submit this email!

Once worried, now woo hoo!

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Once Worried, Now WOO HOO,

Welcome back to the forum and thanks for taking the time to share your story. I'm confident it will help others still trapped in worried-well hell.

Thanks also for your kind comments and a very special note of appreciation for your generous gift to The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). Your one gift will touch many lives in desperate need. On behalf of those lives, please accept my heartfelt thanks.

Regarding HIV-diagnostic testing, newer generation assays have improved sensitivity and specificity. We are able to diagnose those infected earlier and more accurately. The FDA has also approved the first nucleic acid test for HIV-diagnostic use: the APTIMA HIV-1 RNA qualitative assay. This can be helpful in diagnosing acute HIV infection before the development of detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies (see below). The test does have some limitations, including the potential for false-positives and the cost.

Finally, and most importantly, WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO!

I'm wishing you a New Year filled with health and happiness.

Be well. Stay well. Noel.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Is there a Sex Life after HIV?
Next
Infection with resistant HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.