Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

No whoohooo but maybe some HOPE?
Dec 13, 2010

Dr Bob, I finally took my first Hiv test today and it was negative. For the first time in months I smiled. However, I do have a few questions kind sir. I bought it online and when I recieved it I noticed it was shipped from Singapore. The test kit is a OraQuick Rapid HIV-1/2 Antibody Test with a vial pin3, lot 3, and expiration date (30Sept2011)along with a label "For sale outside USA". The kit looks official and the only reason I question it is because it was shipped overseas. I have written before..had unprotected anal (inserting)sex with a man thought to be hiv+ I do not recall the exact date of the encounter, but believe it was mid to late September. Looking at a calendar tells me it has been at least 73 days( counting no days in sept). I believe it was more mid month which would put me at 80something days. I have been experiencing diarreah for 2 months losing 20 lbs. I have had a sore throat and still experiencing soreness in the armpits, neck, and groin. My muscles and joints feel like i have been run over by a truck. And I have been experiencing numbness sensations down my cheek and neck. No fever or rash to my knowledge. I was sure I was hiv+ I now have some HOPE! My questions center around how good should I feel about the test result. I know the archives say 3 months, 6 months with a significant exposure. I am assuming you will suggest I test again after I know it has been at least 3 months. I read somewhere that most people test + 25 days after infection and most all by 4-6 weeks. Should I take any comfort in my test result? If I have been experiencing these symptoms for several weeks, and these symptoms were indeed hiv related, wouldnt I probably have tested positive by now? I am also unclear on this 3 - 6 month window period. Would my situation be 6 months because it is thought he is hiv+ ?? Should I be concerned about my test kit from Singapore? I can send you the lot#, etc, if that would be helpful. I bought 2 test so I want to know if I should trust the results. Do you suggest I wait 1 more month, 3 more months??

I know you are a busy professional and I do appreciate you taking the time to help so many people! Thank you for considering my questions. Times are a little hard right now and if I test positive I am going to need all the resourses I can muster. However, I do pledge to donate to your organization if and when I whooohhooo! That is a promise and I am a man of my word. Hope you are doing well and have a happy holiday season Dr Bob!

Bob

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Bob,

The Home Access Express Test is the only FDA-approved home HIV testing kit. Others may be accurate, but they do not have the FDA's seal of approval and consequently are not considered as reliable.

If your test was accurate, certainly a negative 73-day test would be extremely encouraging.

Symptoms are notoriously unreliable in predicting who is and is not HIV infected.

I would recommend you follow up with an internal medicine physician for any persistent symptoms. You should get an FDA-approved HIV-antibody test at both three and six months (assuming your partner was HIV positive).

Good luck. I'm sending you my good-luck karma that your definitive tests are negative.

Dr. Bob

Previous
What Happens in Vegas stays in Vegas I hope!!!!
Next
False Nagative, please, please help

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.