The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cousin is being mislead

Dec 12, 2010

My cousin took her hiv meds while pregnant she hadn't had any since then and her son is five years old now, for some reason she thinks she's cured and don't have it anymore because while she was pregnant and taken her meds daily she was undetected but that was then she hasn't had anything since and I know there's no way she's undetectable now and why do she thinks she no longer have this disease? maybe they need to use another word other than undetectable since dummies like her don't understand the meaning, she's having unprotected sex like nothing has ever happened. What can I do? please help!

Response from Dr. Frascino


Undetectable does not mean "cured" or no longer infected. It merely refers to the fact that the level of HIV replication is below the level of detection of the test being used. HIV-positive folks with undetectable HIV viral loads (like me, for instance) are still HIV infected and capable of passing the infection on to others.

Please show your cousin this post and urge her to check with an HIV physician specialist without delay. Failure to seek care and treatment will ultimately lead to her developing AIDS and dying prematurely. She is also potentially infecting her sexual partners, which is unconscionable. If she doesn't believe you or me, ask her to check with her physician.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

regarding hiv tests
3 month update (semi-WOOHOO) question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint