Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Tested negative after 8 weeks

I had sex with a commercial sex worker using a condom on oct 8th,i got tested for hiv on 2nd december and the report was negative. apparently there are no hiv associated symptoms in me but there is lot of anxiety and depression, though it was protected sex i am worried and dreaded by the thought of hiv, looking for reassurance and advice.

Condom-protected sex is indeed "protected" assuming the latex condom was used properly and did not fail (break). Consequently your HIV-acquisition risk is negligible.

A negative HIV-antibody test at eight weeks is very encouraging, but not yet definitive. The vast majority of folks who are HIV infected will have detectable levels of anti-HIV antibodies in their blood within four to six weeks following HIV primary infection. I'm extremely confident your conclusive three-month HIV-antibody test will be negative. If you are having significant difficulties with guilt, anxiety and depression, talk to your doctor. Psychotherapy (counseling) and/or medications (antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs) can be very beneficial.

Good luck. Be well.

Arguments on the Connect board - help us out! (COMMON TESTING MISTAKES, 2010)
Is it PN and should I stop considering HIV as a cause of these symptoms?