Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Worried All Over Again?
Dec 10, 2010

Hi Dr. Bob,

I will try to make a long story short. In August of 2008 I unfortunately got severely intoxicated in Edinburgh, Scotland, by myself at a club. I sat down in a doorway up the street, puked and passed out. Later that night when I came to, back at my hotel, I went to the bathroom and there was blood on the toilet paper. Probably from sitting on a plane, on a bus and cold concrete while passed out? Anyways, I came home and somehow worked myself into such a frenzy that I had been anally raped and was unaware because I was passed out. I got a regular HIV test at a local walk-in clinic that I¡ve been to before for, colds, flu ect. The test I got was 14 weeks after this blackout night. They called me the next day on Dec. 5th 2008 to say everything was fine, non-reactive. So, I'm freaking out all over again 2 years later, because I got married to my girlfriend of 5 years and on our wedding night 10-10-10, we had sex for the first time without protection (Obviously cause were married now) and many times since then. Now 4 weeks after that, she started experiencing mono like symptoms. Tired, Low grade fever, swollen lymphnodes, the doctors said she had an enlarged liver and tender spleen, and her urine culture showed that her White blood cell count was really high. They tested for Mono (not a mono spot) but an Epstein Barr blood check and it was negative. Now I¡m freaking out all over again that somehow my test 2 years ago was still in the window period or they messed up the blood work and I just gave my new wife HIV. Am I being completely ridiculous, or is there warrant for concern here?

Thank you so much, Happy to make a donation

p.s. I had no anal discomfort in or around my anus that night, just blood on the toilet paper, maybe a teaspoons worth? p.s.s. she had no rash anywhere on her, fever never went over 99.8 and the enlarged liver and spleen I have read are not typical of ARS

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi Worried All Over Again,

You ask: "Am I being completely ridiculous, or is there warrant for concern here?" The answer is completely ridiculous.

Your negative HIV-antibody test 14 weeks after your Edinburgh adventure is definitive and conclusive. Your fears of being anally raped are exactly that: fears, not reality. By the way, the image of an exhausted dude passed out in a doorway with puke all over him isn't exactly a turn-on for most folks.

Relax Max. Your HIV fears are irrational. Whatever your new bride has, it's not HIV. I'm confident further evaluation will determine the cause of her symptoms.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Can Viral Load and CD4 counts be used to decide who got infected first?
Next
hiv+ partner refusing medical attention

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.