One last piece of informaion about the Exposure at Work. Infromation needed for Holiday Donation

Dr. Bob,

I don't know if this matters or not but the HIV positive person that I shook hands with - the nicks on his hands were also red and inflamed. I don't know if that matters or not? Looking forwad to hearing from you as it looks to me you are the expert on in this field. Please read below. Also, could you forward me to where I could make a nice Holiday Donation Dr. Bob,

I have a qeustion for you please. I met a man who is HIV positive. I am at work and I shook his hand. We work outside. I have some fresh nicks on my hand from working with landscape. I saw thta he had some fresh nicks a well. We shook hands. Nobody's hands were covered. I have some fresh nicks on my hans which actually laid across his fresh nicks that I saw on his hand that I shook. I know our hands and nicks touched each other with no bandaids or anything on them. Both of our hands were not covered with any bandages or anything. BARE HANDED. What are the possiblities of ce catching HIV from this gentleman. Should I take a test. It's been within 72 hrs. Do I need to start PeP?

Please help me within this window period.

Thank You,

Richard

Hello Richard,

Your HIV-acquisition risk is extremely remote at best. There is a possibility of HIV transmission if fresh HIV-infected fluids come into contact with non-intact skin.

For your particular scenario, PEP would definitely not be warranted. A single HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark is all that would be recommended. The odds are astronomically in your favor that you did not contract HIV from a handshake!

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you for your generosity. It's warmly appreciated during this holiday season. In return I'm sending my good-luck karma that you are now and will always be HIV free.

Good luck. Happy holidays.

hpv infection (HPV, HUMAN PAPILLOMA VIRUS AND HIV/AIDS, 2010)
Can Viral Load and CD4 counts be used to decide who got infected first?