Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV Negative Test After 20 Years
Dec 10, 2010

Dear Dr. Bob,

I'm a 38 year old woman who has recently had an HIV test because of symptoms I've had during a 20 year period after having sex for the first time, when I was 18 years old. The test was negative, and it was an antibody test, and they assured me that negative is negative.

1.5 years after I had sex when I was 18, I got a white tongue, which went away after a couple days, and then constant phlegm in my throat that lasted for years and years, but now I get just saliva and post nasal drip, not phlegm, The saliva always gets stuck in my throat and I have to spit it out. I have also had many heavy night sweats, but not so many in the past couple years. I have had weird pink spots on my skin, but they were many years ago. I have also had toenail fungus that spread to all my toenails before I took medication for it and it went away. Other than those symptoms, I'm healthy except for several colds a year. A blood test a year and a half ago was normal except for low iron. The main reason I'm still worried is that my boyfriend of 14 years has similar asthma symptoms, which I think he got a couple years after he met me. We have been completely faithful.

Do I need to get the test again? Thank you so much.

Sarah

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Sarah,

No.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Post-Exposure Prophylaxis, Occupational Exposure
Next
my means test is postive, can i not have hiv?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.