Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Post-Exposure Prophylaxis, Occupational Exposure
Dec 10, 2010

Hi Dr Frascino, I am a medical resident and today suffered an occupational injury from an AIDS patient. I was placing a 20G IV when the patient jumped and it stuck my finger. The injury wasn't very deep, but I had a bit of blood from the puncture site when the glove came off, I washed it immediately with soap and water, and called our hotline and took my first dose of PEP (Truvada + boosted Reyataz) within 2 hours. I am continuing this diligently for 28 days, but I am honestly freaking out about this day and night, losing sleep. I have a wife and a child, and I can't help but worry about what will happen to them should I seroconvert. I want to know whether you have any data on whether PEP provides any additional protection beyond the 0.3% risk that I keep hearing? Please let me know what you think my chances are of getting HIV.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

Yes, PEP further reduces your HIV-acquisition risk; however, we can't say by exactly how much because there are many confounding variables, including viral strain, viral load, whether the source patient was on antiretrovirals, time to your first dose of PEP, exact PEP regimen, your immune integrity, etc. At this point you are doing everything you can. Freaking out will not help nor will it change the ultimate outcome. The statistical odds are all in your favor. As you are a medical resident, I suggest you review the CDC's formal guidelines for occupational HIV exposures and treatment. The document can be downloaded at http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5409a1.htm. You should find the information reassuring.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Panicking. I will donate $100
Next
HIV Negative Test After 20 Years

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.