The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

I am back my dear friend! Question about HIV type 3

Dec 9, 2010

My Dear friend, I hope you are doing fine. I send you a big hug and my best wishes for the holidays! I am back again! My question is:

I had a protected intercourse with a girl that tested negative on HIV using the PCR method one month after our affair.

Since I didn't know her status before, I took 3 days of PEP and then I quit all together the medication. I had a test done 3 months after my intercourse and the results came back negative for HIV 1 & 2, is that conclusive? Should I have done a test at the 6 month mark since I took PEP?

Also, a doctor just informed me that there is also HIV type 3, but I have not found any places in my entire state to test for HIV 3. Is that a common type of HIV type? How can I know if i don't have HIV type 3? None of the test I hav seen anywhere diagnose that type...

Thanks a million Dr. Bob!!!


Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello Henry,

Why even consider PEP if you had "protected" sex? Protected sex really is protected, assuming you used the latex condom properly and it didn't break.

Also, why take only three days of PEP? PEP, when warranted, needs to be taken for a full 28 days.

Your negative three-month test is conclusive. No additional tests are warranted.

HIV type 3? What? No, Henry, there is no such thing as HIV type 3, just as there is not such thing as Santa Claus or a compassionate conservative.

Dr. Bob

scared of hiv results
Thrush doesn't mean you have HIV!

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint