Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Faint line on test
Dec 8, 2010

Dr I took test and a very faint line came up on two test so they told me I was poz it was really faint. I explained to them that I just got a flu shot 4 days ago and I'm on antibiotics. The line on the rapid test that shows the test happened wad bright red but the poz line was super faint on both test. So do I have HIV? They took my blood to send it for a confirmatory test

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way I can interpret just how faint "very faint" is over the Internet. Generally speaking, positive test results are not subtle. Sending off a confirmatory ELISA with reflex Western Blot is reasonable if your rapid test was difficult to interpret. As for your question "do I have HIV?" we won't know until the test results return. A more basic question is did you put yourself at risk for HIV/AIDS? If you have not, there is no reason for concern. However, if you have, the only thing you can do is wait for the test results and be resolved never to put yourself at risk again.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
possibly stepped on a needle. very very worried college student
Next
Condom broke? Risks and PEP consideration?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.