Dec 7, 2010
Can a throat culture accurately detect HIV infection?
| Response from Dr. Frascino
No, it cannot. Throat cultures are used to diagnose conditions such as strep throat, not HIV. The only way to diagnose HIV is with an HIV-specific test. There are HIV-diagnostic tests that use oral fluids and are obtained by swabbing the gums (not the throat).
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Can A Culture Done By A Gynecologist Detect Hiv?
- Throat Culture Hiv
- Penis Discharge After Touching Penis Worried I Have HIV
- Sore Throat After Broken Condom Worried I Have HIV
- Trouble Urinating After Drinking After Someone Worried I Have HIV
- Vomiting After Insertive Oral Sex Worried I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.