Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Are these normal symptoms?
Dec 5, 2010

Hello Doctor. I have a doubts, if my friend, who is HIV+, sometimes coughs blood, that involves an important risk for his close friends? She neither undergoes treatment nor goes to the doctor(this is another story) and Im worried about she can catch TB or something. Recently sheve showed me a big hematoma in her shoulder joint and she cant move the arm because of pain. Are these normal symptoms of HIV? I know she should goes to see a doctor, but if I say her that, she gets angry with me. A condition of her job was that she couldnt have any immune system disease, her job is her life, and she doesnt want that in a database appears her treatment (thats why she rejects the treatment). Maybe, its not a very scientific issue but Id like to know the opinion of an expert.

Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hello,

Your friend is very foolish and shortsighted. She may consider her job her life; however, HIV will gladly snuff that life out prematurely if she doesn't receive proper care and treatment and then she'll have neither job nor life.

If she's coughing up blood, yes, she can present a risk to those around her. Continue to encourage your friend to seek medical attention. Inform her of this Web site and suggest she review the information here. Finally, remind her that blood is a highly infectious fluid and if she's coughing it up, she could be putting others at risk. She also needs an evaluation to determine why she's coughing up blood.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Previous
Scared to death - Strip club experience
Next
HIV risk, or myself being irrational?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.