|unprotected oral exposure
Dec 4, 2010
Hello Dr. Bob - Hope you are doing well. This is a follow up question of my earlier question. I had a test done at the 10 week mark of my exposure. The results were exactly like my first test at 25 days - Positive ELISA and indeterminate WB with reactive p24. As I had mentioned in my last note, my second test was negative at 31 days.I have the following questions:
1. How confident can I be that this is a false positive as this is the tenth week? 2. If someone is positive, at 10 weeks, I assume that you would expect more reactive bands and a positive WB. How confident can I be that this is a false positive?
Kindly provide your clarification so that I could put my mind to rest. I will definitely donate well like the last time for your help. Thanks for your help
| Response from Dr. Frascino
1. I would assume your 10-week positive ELISA/indeterminate WB was a false-positive/indeterminate test, the main reason being the negative HIV-antibody test at day 31 following a previous positive/indeterminate result. Also, if you had been in the process of seroconverting to HIV positive at day 25, the seroconversion process would definitely have been completed by week 10 and you would have tested conclusively HIV positive on both the screening ELISA and the confirmatory WB.
2. I would be confident you are not infected. However, if you or your physician remain concerned, I would suggest getting a qualitative HIV PCR DNA (or RNA). These tests do not rely on anti-HIV antibody production, but rather assay for a piece of the virus's genetic material. These tests are not recommended for routine HIV-diagnostic screening, but they can be useful in sorting out confusing or indeterminate HIV-antibody test results.
Thank you for your ongoing support of The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation (www.concertedeffort.org). It's warmly appreciated during this holiday season.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool Sign Of HIV Infection
- Red Spots Could I Have Acute HIV Infection
- Bloody Nose After Unprotected Anal Sex Worried I Have HIV
- Itchy Vagina After Nipple Biting Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Itchy Vagina After Touching Skin Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Red Eyes After Unprotected Anal Sex Without Ejaculation Does It Mean I Have HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.