Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

antihistamines and window period
Dec 4, 2010

hello sir,

I have been reading a lot on ur forum and would like to say that i have got a lot valueable information . anyways , I wanted to share my exposure I had unprotected oral sex with a female friend(fellatio),which i understand , is a low risk exposure, still I got myself tested at 10th week(71 days) and it came back negative , i was very relieved till i read somewhere that the window period is 6 months for those having autoimmune diseases , which i believe i have , I am having problem of HIVES , for which i have been taking antihistamines like alorti 10 mg, neoloridin for quite some time and even took for 5 days (one daily) after 9 weeks because of itching all over my body. Now my questions are 1. is 10 week test in my case encouraging 2. does hives or any auto immunodisease increases the window period to 6 months from 3 months 3. does taking antihistamines have any effect on window period/ delayes seroconversion . 4. I once had prednisone for 5 days in YEAR 2007 , for some skin rashes, would it have any effect. I hail from India lastly sir , do let me know , how I can donate to ur fund , I really wanna donate thanks

Response from Dr. Frascino

Hi,

1. Yes.

2. Having hives does not mean you have an autoimmune disease! Neither hives nor an autoimmune disease would give a false-negative HIV test.

3. Nope.

4. Nope.

Donation information for The Robert James Frascino AIDS Foundation can be found on the foundation's Web site at www.concertedeffort.org. Thank you for your interest in supporting the foundation.

Finally, regarding HIV testing, your HIV-acquisition risk was very low. An HIV-antibody test at the three-month mark would be considered definitive.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr. Bob

Previous
hiv positive having sex in florida not telling
Next
all the symptoms even with 3 month test and 2 RNA pcrs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.