The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Genotype/phenotype test

Dec 3, 2010

Hi Boss,

Trust you are doin great, i am an anvid follower and reader of your forum and just wanted to ask if it is possible to have a resistance test done even if one is hiv negative. I am asking because i read here so many times how people suffer while on a 28 day PEP course after a risky episode. If we know prior to taking these drugs which one we can adhere to then we wont suffer if we have to take them. I am not using this as an excuse to go out there and put myself at risk, even you said here before that God gave man a brain and a dick but not enough blood to run both so you understand people will still engage in risky behaviours. A simple nope will be nice.



Response from Dr. Frascino

Hey Peter,

You're an "anvid follower"??? Hmm. What's that?

Resistance testing cannot be performed on someone who is not HIV infected. Resistance testing requires an HIV plasma viral load of at least 500-1,000.

You also appear to have a misperception that being resistant to an antiretroviral medication is somehow related to side effects, toxicities or adherence. It is not. Being resistant to an HIV medication means the drug is no longer effective against the virus. (The drug is no longer able to decrease HIV replication). This has nothing to do with side effects, toxicities and adherence. You can read much more about resistance and resistance testing in the archives of this forum.

Be well. Stay safe.

Dr. Bob

Strayed once last week and living with fear

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint