The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What hospital would you suggest that I get a second opinion? (NON-HIV-RELATED KAPOSIS SARCOMA, 2010)

Dec 3, 2010

Dr. Robert,

I am a 61 y/o gay male who is HIV negative and I have KS with HHV-8. I am being treated at Fox Chase Cancer Center. I use Panretin gel, however, I am not seeing significant progress. Is KS that rare in HIV neg. men? I am thinking about Sloan-Kettering in New york.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Frascino


If you are looking for a second opinion, certainly Sloan-Kettering would be a good choice.

There are several different types or classifications of non-HIV-related Kaposi's Sarcoma (KS). A complete discussion of each is beyond the scope of this forum, which is devoted to HIV/AIDS.

Briefly, "classic" KS tends to occur in elderly folks of Mediterranean, Eastern European and Middle Eastern heritage. It is more common in men than women. The lesions typically occur on the lower extremities and do not progress as quickly as AIDS-related KS. The immune system of folks with classic KS is not as weak as it is in those with AIDS-related KS, but it may be weaker than normal. Other types of KS include endemic (African) KS and transplant-associated (iatrogenic) KS.

Of note, recently there have been reports of KS developing in HIV-negative men who have sex with men. In this group, the cases of KS are often mild and similar to cases of classic KS.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Bob

how long hiv+??
Re UPDATE : Dear Dr.Bob - i deeply apologise for my previous letter - but please help me Kind Sir.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint