What hospital would you suggest that I get a second opinion? (NON-HIV-RELATED KAPOSIS SARCOMA, 2010)

Dr. Robert,

I am a 61 y/o gay male who is HIV negative and I have KS with HHV-8. I am being treated at Fox Chase Cancer Center. I use Panretin gel, however, I am not seeing significant progress. Is KS that rare in HIV neg. men? I am thinking about Sloan-Kettering in New york.

Thank you.

If you are looking for a second opinion, certainly Sloan-Kettering would be a good choice.

There are several different types or classifications of non-HIV-related Kaposi's Sarcoma (KS). A complete discussion of each is beyond the scope of this forum, which is devoted to HIV/AIDS.

Briefly, "classic" KS tends to occur in elderly folks of Mediterranean, Eastern European and Middle Eastern heritage. It is more common in men than women. The lesions typically occur on the lower extremities and do not progress as quickly as AIDS-related KS. The immune system of folks with classic KS is not as weak as it is in those with AIDS-related KS, but it may be weaker than normal. Other types of KS include endemic (African) KS and transplant-associated (iatrogenic) KS.

Of note, recently there have been reports of KS developing in HIV-negative men who have sex with men. In this group, the cases of KS are often mild and similar to cases of classic KS.

Hope that helps.

how long hiv+??
Re UPDATE : Dear Dr.Bob - i deeply apologise for my previous letter - but please help me Kind Sir.