The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Safe Sex and HIV PreventionSafe Sex and HIV Prevention
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Test at 17 weeks conclusive?

Dec 1, 2010

Dear Doc,

Had a very high risk exposure where I shared a needle with an HIV poz guy. I was quite sure there was blood in the syringe just before I used it. He later told me that he has been undetectable for 3 years. Exactly two weeks after the exposure, I had fever, sore throat, runny nose and rashes. Went for a rapid test at 17 weeks post exposure and the result came back as negative. Is the result conclusive or do I need to get retested? I know testing at 17 weeks post exposure is 99.8% accurate. Please advise . I am very depressed.

Response from Dr. Frascino


A negative HIV-antibody test at 17 weeks is encouraging, but the CDC recommends testing out to the six-month mark (24 weeks) for a conclusive result following a very significant HIV exposure. Certainly sharing intravenous syringes with someone confirmed to be HIV positive would qualify, especially as you were "quite sure there was blood in the syringe" just before you used it. Needless to say, this was a colossal lapse in judgment! If you have a drug problem, get into a rehab program now. There's a good chance you may have dodged the HIV bullet this time, but I'd strongly advise against pressing your luck should a similar situation arise in the future.

Good luck.

Dr. Bob

Husband tested Poz
New Donation ( REF EPFE6XXXXXXXXX) i love to help you becasue you always help me. (Low Risk Situation) Last question

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint