HIV from bath water (BATH WATER, 2010)

Dear Dr- I emailed you before but you never answered my question so I thought I might try again. I understand that hiv is not transmitted in things such as a jacuzzi or a lake. I met a guy I know a little and took a bath with him in plain look warm tap water without any soap.

He ejaculated near my penis and some of his semen ended up on my penis underwater. My concern is hiv getting into my urethra. Is this a risk and should I go get tested?

Your HIV-acquisition risk from your rub-a-dub-dub-two-studs-in-a-tub is nonexistent. I'll reprint below some other bathwater questions from the archives.

Bath water Mar 12, 2005

Hi, what is the risk of contracting HIV by sharing the same bath water i.e being in the bath at the same time as a HIV + individual?

This is another QTND (Question That Never Dies)!

Check the archives and you will learn that the only way you can contract HIV by sharing the same bath with an HIV-positive person is to have unsafe sex with them. So even "rub-a-dub-dub, three men in a tub," with two out of three being pozitoids, is not a risk to the neggie. OK? Now give me back my rubber ducky.

HIV transmission through bath water??? Jul 4, 2007

Dear Dr. Bob,

I am a gay bottom that recently had sex with three random guys at the same time. I gave a little unprotected oral sex during this but was careful not to swallow any pre-cum or cum. I had protected anal sex with the three guys. I later noticed that one of the guy's had ejaculated a little on my shoulder. When I came home that night I brushed my teeth twice and took a hot bath. As I was bathing, I sort of held my anus open so that I could do some sort of "douche." I then realized that the bath water contained the particles of dried-up semen that I washed off my shoulder and began to panic about possibly infecting myself. Do the dry semen particles in the bath water pose a threat to me? Do I have any reason to worry despite the fact that I used protection? I understand my question may seem kind of random but PLEASE ANSWER

You bottomed for three random guys "at the same time???" Hmmm . . . is that even physically possible? Do you and your three top guys work for Cirque du Soleil? Considering this experience, perhaps "Cirque du So-gay" would be more appropriate. At any rate, your specific HIV fears are completely unwarranted. You cannot contract HIV from dry spunk on your shoulder finding its way into your love canal during your post-orgy bath/"douche."

Finally, your question is not "random;" it's rather intriguing in an acrobatic kind of way.

hiv and water bath Aug 13, 2004

My girl freind is hiv pos. here viral load is undetectable. We practice safe sex. My question is what is the risk of hiv transmission if we share our bath?.

Splish splash, go take that bath, because even if you rub a dub dub with three (HIV positive) men in a tub, your HIV transmission risk is nil.

I'm a mommy, sick with worry. Need an answer PLEASE! Aug 13, 2009

Hi there. I have to tell you that I have read through all the archives, and only found one that was sort of similar to mine. If a friend masturbated in my daughter's bathtub, and not all the 'stuff' went down the drain. About 3-4 hours later, I gave my daughters a bath in the same tub. I know that if there was any HIV, it probably was very diluted. But could any of it have reached my daughters' vaginal membranes? I am absolutely sick with worry. Do I have to get these two young girls tested? How long does HIV in semen stay 'alive' and active in drops of bath water? I've read so many conflicting reports on the internet, and you seem like the most valid source. Please, for my sanity, answer my email.

Hi "Mommy,"

You apparently didn't read through the archives all that carefully. I have addressed similar concerns in the past on several occasions.

The HIV-acquisition risk is nonexistent. Neither testing nor worrying is warranted.

By the way, how do you know your friend was masturbating in your daughter's bathtub?

Is penis size affected by HIV medications.
New diagnos for serodiscordant couple. How do we deal with this?