Former Worried Well

This is not really a question...but I have been reading your form for years now and wanted to quickly tell my story. I have been worried about having HIV for 7 years now...SEVEN YEARS! I had unprotected receptive vaginal sex one time with someone I thought I really knew, but realized I truly didn't. Since that time I have scoured the internet and this site looking for any sign that I may have HIV or be in the clear...but I was just too terrified to test. I understood that if I were positive, the worst thing I could do is put off seeking medical treatment, but my terror just couldn't bring me to do it. I eventually met the man meant for me, got married, and we're expecting our first child. This should be the most wonderful time of my life, but it's been soiled with my fears surrounding the test I knew I'd be getting now that I'm pregnant. Finally I could put it off no longer. I had my blood drawn and received news that could've saved me so many years of anxiety and fear....negative!!!

It's hard to remember when you're wracked with fear that HIV is not the easiest virus to transmit (thank goodness) and that not every encounter will lead to HIV, but it's true. When you test, it's likely that you will not be positive. But even if you are, the best thing you could possibly do is find out right away and take steps to improve your life immediately. Waiting 7 yrs to take that step did nothing for me physically or mentally. So for all you out there who are afraid to take that step...listen to me and don't waste precious time. Get out there and know your status!

Thank you Dr. Bob for the humor and the psychological therapy you have provided to me and so many others. You are a good man! :)

Thanks for taking the time to write in and share your story. I'm confident it will help others still trapped in their own self-induced worried-well hell to get tested. When it comes to HIV/AIDS, what you don't know can have disastrous consequences!

Happy Thanksgiving and WOO-HOO!

How risky am I being???
HIV DNA PCR POSSITIVE (ANOTHER FALSE POSITIVE PCR TEST, 2010)