I know you are busy 4th post and I will donate

Hi Dr.

I had a sex with sexual worker earlier this year, we had oral and protected sex however during oral she had been bleeding and I only noticed when we finished from blood on sheet... I didn't think too much about it as I was drunk until about 4wks later when I had discharge, followed by eye infection and urine infection. I then got tested at my local clinic for pretty much all std's and all came back fine. Clearly I felt a lot better from this mistake as I have a wife and two young children.

Anyway I then started with thrush in mouth and aches and sweats, like cold but nose wasn't runny started getting concerned and then the night sweats and swollen glands started. I went for further HIV tests after reading up about what it could be at approx 7wks and 9wks both at private clinic and had the DUO test. This was followed by a further general HIV test at 12wks and a INSTI test at 6mths. All of which have been negative also had tests for hepatitis, herpes, syphilis etc... all negative.

My problem is since Apr my glands have been constantly swollen and some times hurt, had diarrhea, funny stomach and night sweats, with sore throat. I don't know what is causing it tried ensuring it isn't mental by going to shrink and hypnotherapist who after several appointments said I was fine and increased vitamins etc... I have recently seen a ENT surgeon who has confirmed my glands appear to be swollen however after getting a camera down there doesn't appear to be anything that concerns him.

Thing is after the 6mth test I thought this is conclusive and had unprotected sex with wife since which after 3wks she has had a cold which for nearly 3wks she hasn't been able to shift so getting concerned that I could been in a scenario where it isn't being detected is this possible?!

I'm in a real dark place with this and would really like your view if possible?

thanks and peace to all...

Your HIV-acquisition risk is low. Your repeatedly negative HIV-antibody tests out to six months are definitive, conclusive and WOO-HOO-able. Whatever is causing your and your wife's symptoms, one thing is absolutely certain: it's not HIV.

I would suggest you follow up with a good internal medicine physician for ongoing evaluation and management of any persistent symptoms. If the ENT surgeon is not concerned about your glands, then neither should you be.

If you are "in a real dark place," additional follow up with a mental health professional to help you with your depression as well as to help you confront and conquer your irrational HIV fears would be warranted. You need help accepting the overwhelming and irrefutable evidence that you are HIV negative.

You should be WOO-HOO-ing, not worrying.

HIV + blood touched
Serodiscordant couple