I am HIV neg and my partner is HIV pos
Nov 26, 2010
My partner and I have been together for 11 years. He is HIV positive (~15 years) and I am HIV negative. I should also mention that the virus has been undetectible for the 11 yeras that we have been together. I have two questions:
1.) In addition to the "normal" safe sex techniques (i.e. condom use and others), should I press my doctor to prescribe me a drug such as Truvata for PrEP?
2.)In the 11 years that we have been together, there have been a number of instances when I have been exposed. 11 years later, I am still HIV neg. Should someone in my situation join a vaccination study?
Thank you for your time and consideration.
Response from Dr. Frascino
1. A number of HIV specialist physicians have been offering PrEP as an additional harm-reduction measure for magnetic couples for a number years, based on very preliminary data that showed it might be helpful. With the publication of the iPrEx study in this week's New England Journal of Medicine, we now have solid scientific evidence that Truvada is highly effective in preventing HIV transmission in men who have sex with men. Formal recommendations and guidelines for PrEP are still pending and there are a number of other PrEP clinical trials still underway. Certainly in light of the new evidence, a discussion with your HIV specialist regarding the risks (some unknown) and potential benefits is warranted. This story is rapidly unfolding. Stay tuned to The Body and we'll keep you updated as it evolves.
2. Not necessarily. Your situation really doesn't have any bearing on whether you decide to participate in a vaccine clinical trial. Again, a discussion with your HIV specialist could prove helpful in deciding if you should consider a clinical trial.
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Why Does Uganda Have Lower Rates Of Hiv/aids Infections When Compared To Other Sub-saharan African Countries?
- Dealing With Diarrhea When You Are Hiv Positive
- Can You Get HIV From Rubbing Penis?
- Chances Of Getting HIV From Oral Sex On A Woman
- How Long Do I Wait To Get Tested After Sex With Hooker?
- Nipple Sucking How Long Does It Take To Test Positive For HIV
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.